Site Meter

01 December 2007

Worrying is Like a Rocking Chair...

"...it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere." - Glenn Turner


"For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe." - Author Unknown

(These and more great quotes on worry can be found here: The Quote Garden)

Last night I had a dream that three very unfortunate and disturbing things happened. As a result, I feel really out-of-whack this morning.

I'm not looking for the deeper psychological meaning of the dream, and I don't intend to pick it to pieces. It just brings to mind how worry can taint a person's outlook. In much the same way that the the events in my dream never happened but are still the cause of mental overhead, worry is the process of holding on to baggage as a "result" of things that have not occurred.

The New Living Translation closely mirrors one of the few passages in The Living Bible that I thought were very well-paraphrased: "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." (Phillipians 4:6, NLT)

I've found that this is one of the verses where I look back and see that I've been the most unintentionally... disingenuous (not quite the right word -- someone help me out here) during my walk with Christ. It's very difficult, as an act of the will, to truly let go of worry and do this verse: "Commit your way [literally "roll your life or course of action"] to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." - (Psalm 37:5, NKJV)

Worry is not the same as planning ahead, though we (particularly those of us labeled as pessimists) often get those things confused.

I know that many, if not all, of those reading this are dealing with the problem of worry, some on a large scale and some on a comparitvely smaller scale. Together today, let's take the simple action of letting go of it -- something that sounds so easy but can actually be incredibly difficult -- and trusting God to address our as-yet unrealized problems within His perfect plan -- one that involves us.

5 comments:

Tony M said...

Oswald Chambers says, "Fretting is wicked if you are a child of God," and "I shall never think of anything He will forget, why should I worry?" I mention his comments because it brings worry out in a slightly different light - we often discount worry as weakness, or a natural thing, but he essentially equates worry with sin (and I think that's a valid equation, but one I frequently fail to make).

If you think about it, worry is really failure to put your trust in God. That's what got us in trouble in the first place, wasn't it? Failure to put our trust in God? Trying to put ourselves in God's place, that's sin; that comes from a failure to trust in Him.

Instead of worrying, we should put our trust, our faith in God. I suppose I should reword that comment to say "I should" instead of "we should" - I often find myself worrying instead of trusting, and there's nothing I can do about your situation, I need to "worry" about myself. :)

Preston N said...

I'm worried of being buried alive in a box.........Stop it! Sorry Dean I just couldn't resist! :)

Seriously though I have to agree with Tony here. If Christ is for us who can be against us? Nothing and Nobody!

Leroy said...

There is a fine line between "concern" and "worry". We should have a friend (spouse, coworker, etc.) that we are willing to let help us realize when we have crossed that thin line. Accountability.

Through trials God will build our dependence on Him. Through hard-headedness, we decide how many trials it takes.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember whom to give credit for this quote, but I like it, "It's good to worry; everything I've ever worried about has never happened!". :)

Tony M said...

I like Leroy's comment:


"Through trials God will build our dependence on Him. Through hard-headedness, we decide how many trials it takes."

I may add that to my quote list over on my blog (upper left corner), with your permission, of course!

That should be made into a class for our CLU (Christian Life University - it's a discipleship program). Long title, but catchy!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review