Site Meter

07 December 2007

"not at leisure; otherwise engaged"

Ironic, isn't it, that I've been blogging so much about the negative effects of being too busy, but I've been so busy that I've not been able to post in the mornings? Our Christmas theatre (with an "re") production is the one major piece of busy-ness this year that I have allowed for and deemed to be an acceptable thing.

It is a fantastic presentation; one I trust will help people outside the Church to see that "hope" is a real thing. I believe that we frequently present ourselves as Christ-followers in a way that simply leads people to believe that we're doing our own little thing in the church, and it applies only to people who think "that way," and not to them.

The fact, of course, is that we want everyone to know that we're not just following some set of rules that makes us different from "normal" people. We have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and that fact should be showing in all that we do, as a part of our very nature.

One practical object lesson showing how massive amounts of activity can be a negative example: I was invited to two different get-togethers (or should that be "gets-together"?) of my former high school classmates, and both times I had to let them know that my schedule kept me from being there. This was after I'd run late to a couple of reunion planning meetings because of -- you guessed it -- my schedule.

The very nice response of one one of my classmates when I had to miss the second get-together included something along the lines of "Wow! You're busy!" For me, that was a real bummer. Here I am, all "cleaned up" 20 years later, a Baptist minister -- something that no one could have realistically forseen -- and the main thing that's probably going to stick out in everyone's mind is the fact that I'm too busy to hang out with them. That just stinks.

That goes in my mental file of how to modify my lifestyle to more perfectly reflect a walk with Christ.

By the way...

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" will be presented at Wall Highway Baptist Church in Madison, AL on Friday, December 7 at 7:00, Saturday, December 8 at 7:00, and Sunday, December 9 at 3:00. It is free of charge and childcare will be provided. This will be a fantastic opportunity to bring your friends and neighbors to enjoy a great presentation, and most importantly, to hear the Gospel presented.

2 comments:

Dean Lusk said...

Reading today's post again, I think it's a weird one. It basically says, "Don't be busy, but I'm really busy!" Talk about sending mixed signals... :-)

Would love to see you tonight, tomorrow, or Sunday! If you're a reader I've never personally met and you get a chance to be at the presentation, please make it a point to find me and introduce yourself.

Anonymous said...

Dean,

I wished that I could write as well as you do in your blog. Either I don't have that skill or I'm too busy to check what I wrote to see if it sounds good.

Michael C.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review