Site Meter

22 November 2007

A Microwave Society

My work computer came down with a virus last week. I've removed bits and pieces of it, but its artifacts are apparently still there; the computer is running a little sluggishly. This situation has proven to be eye-opening for me.

I think that I'm somewhat of an impatient person -- possibly moreso than most other people. My impatience became crystal clear to me when I had an office guest the other day. I seem to find nothing wrong with raising my voice to my computer when I'm alone: "Aaah! Hurry up!" But when I did this in front of another person, I found that I instantly became embarrassed: "Aaah! Hurry up!" (to Mr. Computer) and then almost immediately, "I'm an impatient person, aren't I?" (to the office guest)

My office guest told me that they moved into a new house in 1976, and the new-fangled "Microwave Oven" that was on the kitchen table was absolutely not to be thrown in with the deal by the house's owner. My office guest said something like, "I thought to myself, if I can't find an hour to make a baked potato, then I'm way too busy."

Ooh. We have come so far, haven't we?

Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
Psalm 46:10 (NKJV)

2 comments:

Tony M said...

My microwave is old, going out. I think the microwaves it creates must be tired or something. Anyway, it takes longer than the "printed instructions" when cooking frozen food. Sometimes a lot longer. And, yes, it's frustrating!

I, too, am an impatient person. That "Be Still" thing is one of my constant downfalls - I all too often fail to do it.

Today is a good day to stop and be thankful (duh!). Think maybe I'll do that. At the moment, though, I'm watching the Macy's Day Parade. Mr. Potato Head is on the TV right now. Did you know next year is the "International Year of the Potato"? Ah, well, sorry, I forgot I'm commenting on your blog instead of writing on my own (I won't promote it here, though). I think we all need the reminders to "slow down, enjoy the life God's given you, and spend some time with Him" - thanks for the reminders, and keep 'em coming.

christy said...

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I have started dabbling in Yoga. What I do is called "A Morning Cup of Yoga" and it's only 15 minutes long, so real yogaist would probably roll their eyes at me. Anyway, my point is that at the end of the cd the lady says "Now take a moment a form your intentions for the day". I like that. I've started writing my "Intentions" list instead of my "Goals" list, b/c if I write Goals, then I feel like a failure if I don't scratch off everything on the list by the end of the day. Now, being still, you have to be still to do yoga or you will fall - TRUST ME! While I'm doing my "yoga" I am also meditating - uh oh - she's crazy! Well, I medidate on the scripture Dean shared "Be still and know that I am God". I meditate on this verse while yogaing. :) Starting yoga has helped me to be still - I guess that's my point. I know I was probably not pithy enough. Sorry.

PS Did I use the word "pithy" in the right context? I trying to appear extremely intelligent so I can keep up w/ you guys. :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review