Site Meter

19 November 2007

"Eeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss"

I realized some time ago that I have tinnitus; a ringing/hissing in my ears. No worries, though -- it's not very bad at all. I guess it's developed as a result of 20+ years of listening to moderately loud music, assuming I started around age 15 or so. But maybe it's all in my head. (Bada-boom! Thank you, thank you!) Or maybe it was all the time that I spent reclining on the runway at the airport, just relaxing and listening to the planes take off on lazy Saturday afternoons... Oh, wait. I never did that.

Seriously, the peculiar thing about it is that I don't even know that the condition exists until I remove myself from any noise. The tinnitus is so slight that even the gentle hum of a ceiling fan (or the tick-tick-tick if it's on "do-not-turn-me-up-this-high" speed and the blades aren't balanced) masks it. The fan inside my computer is loud enough to cover it up, and of course music (loud or soft) prevents me from knowing the condition is there.

I stepped outside around 5:00 this morning. It looked like what my mind tells me that London looked like every single day in the 1800's -- dark, foggy, the silhouettes of trees (or buildings, in the case of London) taking on forboding, ominous shapes... And it was dead quiet. No birds chirping, no crickets making that cricketty noise, no... er... cars making that carry noise. There was a nearly complete absence of sound.

Except for that "Eeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss" in my ears. (Or something vaguely similar to that -- words are my craft, you know.)

If I didn't ever withdraw from the noise of all that goes on around me, I'd never have realized that I have this ringing in my ears, and therefore I'd probably be less inclined to take care of my hearing.

Jesus took time on a number of occasions to move away from the crowds that so often followed Him. Luke 5:16 states that "He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed." Jesus obviously believed it was imperative to get away from the noise (figuratively and possibly literally) of the crowds and instead be alone with His Father. Sometimes the crowds followed Him (by the way, I believe that this kind of behavior is what will often follow in our churches as we get out and help others -- people will frequently come to us when they see genuine good works. But that's a topic for another post...), but the fact stands that when He walked as a human, He made time to be alone with God.

For each of us, in order to recognize the "stuff buildup" (why do I suddenly think of earwax?) in our lives, it is necessary for us to withdraw from the busyness of life; to give ourselves self-imposed down-time, and to use that down-time to be alone with God. In my case, having this time every morning is crucial to the general success of the day.

Please don't read all this and think, "Good point," and then do nothing about it. (Of course, please don't read it and think, "Bad point," either.) We are not supermen or superwomen. If Jesus Christ found it necessary to get away from His physical work, it is obviously an example we should follow. I am thoroughly convinced that this applies not only to us as individuals, but to our church fellowships, as well.

1 comments:

Tony M said...

I plan to get away from all my physical work as soon as possible. :) Just kidding; but this is a good point. And one worth "doing nothing" in light of (so to speak; play on words here). I'm really looking forward to the long weekend over Thanksgiving (I even made comments on this post on my own blog - yes, a bit of shameless advertising there). While not necessarily exactly in the same line as your comments, it's a great time to "get away" with family and friends.

But you are right - I need to spend more "alone time" - well, alone as far as other humans go. I don't do that enough, primarily due to the "busy pace of life" you mentioned.

Gotta run... much to do... :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review