Site Meter

12 November 2007

Boomshine

Many of you may have never played a "casual game." On cell phones, these things are known as "easy play" games. They're games that take essentially no time to learn and are accessible to the widest possible audience.

Have a look at Boomshine, an addictive little productivity enhancer by Danny Miller at K2xL.com.

The first really unusual thing I noticed about this game was the soundtrack (not to mention the "explosion" sound effects). Written by a guy named Tim Halbert, the music is very soothing, in stark contrast to the lurching, frenzied music one typically hears in a video game, and enabled me to play with minimal frustration.

I'm thankful for that, because I read a little nugget of info that said this: "Only 3.97% of all level 12 games have won." Translated, this means, "Nyaaah, nyaaah! If you don't finish level 12, you stink!" So I had to finish level 12. I give Tim Halbert full credit.

9 comments:

Tony M said...

You're right, addicting game, nice, soothing soundtrack. I'd have posted sooner, but I was trying to get on the high-score board, which is a lot harder than just finishing the levels. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and making me even less effective with my time!

Tony M said...

You know, this sort of reminds me of Katamari Damaci (not the gameplay, necessarily, but the music and the "friendliness" of the game). And you're guaranteed a minimum score if you complete all the levels! Of course, my highest score so far has been ranked somewhere around 460th or less on the high score board...

Cecily said...

Ugh! Just what I needed... another addictive time-waster!

So, I finally completed Level 12. I see what the game makers are saying. Lots of Level 12 games are attempted -- only 3.97% are successful. I can see how this is true, as I tried Level 12 a couple dozen (or more) times before hitting that magic number of 55.

Nice music!

Tony M said...

I found the first time the easiest - beat it in a relatively small number of tries. After that, though, it seemed to get harder each time. And I never got ranked anywhere under the top 400 despite all my attempts.

Amanda said...

I agree. I should be working but I am playiing a game.... OOPS van I get a Boomshine charge number? LOL

Tony M said...

Just made the #388th high score for today - look for the player "Kingdad" with a score of 266. Woo-hoo! I broke into the top 400! :)

Tony M said...

Woohoo! Daily ranking #190 with a score of 273! Ok, I'm done now.

Dean Lusk said...

Tony M's employer, this is NOT the Tony M you know. Nor is Amanda anyone who might need a charge number for billing.

:)

Tony M said...

Thanks. But you'll notice my posts (and thus my scores) were made after working hours... :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Review